Apparently there are no entrance tests for pet parenting and many of the guardians may not be aware of the first aid steps for burns or may simply panic. Burns could be quite painful and they damage several skin layers at once. Our pets are at a constant risk of getting burnt with all the substances we use such as electricity, burners, fireplaces, candles, chemicals, etc. We don’t want our pets suffer because of our ignorance, right? So let’s learn what to do when a dog or cat get burns!
First aid tips for burns
Before we begin, it is important to understand that it may take time for visible signs to surface in mild burns. However in severe burning accidents you may be able to see the signs such as redness, blood, peeled skin etc. which may frighten you. Thus the first tip would be:
Wound-Gard for dogs is an effective anti-septic spray that helps wounds to heal quicker. The bitter taste acts as a deterrant from licking or biting, encouraging wounds (including post-surgical wounds) to heal faster and prevents infection.
The liquid formulation comes in a spray bottle that’s easy to administer, and its antiseptic solution also promotes healing. Wound-gard for dogs should be sprayed liberally to the wound or affected area three times per day or as directed by your vet.
This is a must-have for all pet first aid kits as you never know when you’ll need it most. You can head on over to our online store to buy Wound-Gard for dogs for only $9.99 and free shipping on all orders.
Watch out for Antifreeze this Winter whilst you’re out on walks with your dog as the solution can be lethal to animals if consumed. Spills of this liquid are common in winter months on driveways as car owners perform engine maintenance.
Acute cases of antifreeze poisoning often show as if the animal is intoxicated with alcohol. This is an emergency situation, and life threatening within hours. See your veterinarian immediately; the outlook depends on how quickly treatment can be administered.
Antifreeze is a brightly colored, syrup-like liquid that has a sweet, appealing taste for your pooch. If you think your dog is likely to consume it, keep him on a lead at all times and one eye fixed firmly on him, it might just save his life.
Thanksgiving is only a week away and, although it is a time to share, veterinarians urge pet owners to not feed their dog any of the Thanksgiving meal. With the average Thanksgiving Day meal being around 3,000 calories, all those foods rich in fats can be lethal to your dog or cat.
Domesticated pets do not cope well with changes in their diets so feeding them even a little bit of the meal, particularly the turkey, could cause a painful bout of gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis brings with it vomiting, diarrhea, and an overall very sick animal. Feeding your pets little treats from the table could also potentially cause a fatal case of pancreatitis.
What is Pancreatitis?
The pancreas is a vital organ in your pet that normally releases enzymes into the stomach and intestines to aid digestion but when overwhelmed with fat-filled food, the pancreas could begin to realise enzymes into the abdominal cavity. Pancreatitis is a very serious condition that will require extensive veterinary treatment and can be fatal.
How to prevent it.
Do not feed your pet anything from the table, if you need to give your dog or cat a Thanksgiving treat, use ones specifically made for pets. If you can’t resist Fido’s puppy-dog eyes or your cat rubbing up against your legs with wishful thinking, shut them in a different room, it is much kinder to them than running the risk of them being seriously sick.
Remember that dogs and cats can easily access kitchen counters and the trash so take extra care to ensure that the counters aren’t left unattended and the trash is secured.
The old phrase ‘give a dog a bone’ should be disregarded when it comes to any bones as they can splinter or become lodged, particularly bird bones. A splinter could cut your dog’s mouth, throat and organs, causing a lot of pain and expensive vets bills. Be sure to safely dispose of the string used to tie up a turkey while cooking as your pets can’t understand that, although it tastes good, it is dangerous and twists up the digestive tract.
Remember to educate any guests visiting also as a well meaning relative may slip the cat a bit of turkey or the grandkids might feed the dog some chocolate without knowing how toxic it is to them. Keep your pets safe and healthy this Thanksgiving so they can enjoy the holiday with you.
This week BudgetPetCare is putting the spotlight on our handy First Aid Kit for cats and dogs. Whether it is for use at home or on the go, this kit is essential for all pet owners as we never know when our pets may need it most.
Dogs, particularly puppies, are determined to explore everywhere their paws will allow them to go, which can naturally lead to bumps and scrapes. With our First Aid Kit, you can allow your dog to be a dog with the reassurance that if a superficial wound arises, it can be immediately treated.
What is included
The following apparatus is included in a convenient holding pouch:
- Wound Dressing 12 x 12 cm
- Triangular Bandage Non Woven 90 cm x 127 cm
- Eyepad Wound Dressing
- Alcohol Free Cleansing Wipe x 4
- Vinyl Examination Gloves x 2 pair
- Adhesive Dressing x 2 set 10 patches
- Scissors x 1
- Safety Pins x 5
- Leaflet containing Basic Advice on First Aid
The First Aid Kit, manufactured by Merial is ideal for use on minor superficial injuries such as cuts, burns and bites. The items can be stored in the home, in your car or even in your bag for use in case of an injury whilst out with your dog.
Where to buy a First Aid Kit for cats and dogs
You can head over to our BudgetPetCare website to buy First Aid Kits for cats and dogs for just $ 9.78 with free shipping on all orders.
Look out for future articles on simple First Aid guides for your cat or dog on our blog!