Home > Cats, Dogs, First Aid, News > Thanksgiving Meal: Why you should not be feeding it to your pets

Thanksgiving Meal: Why you should not be feeding it to your pets

November 18, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments

Stuff your Turkey, not your dog

Thanksgiving is only a week away and, although it is a time to share, veterinarians urge pet owners to not feed their dog any of the Thanksgiving meal. With the average Thanksgiving Day meal being around 3,000 calories, all those foods rich in fats can be lethal to your dog or cat.

Domesticated pets do not cope well with changes in their diets so feeding them even a little bit of the meal, particularly the turkey, could cause a painful bout of gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis brings with it vomiting, diarrhea, and an overall very sick animal. Feeding your pets little treats from the table could also potentially cause a fatal case of pancreatitis.

What is Pancreatitis?

The pancreas is a vital organ in your pet that normally releases enzymes into the stomach and intestines to aid digestion but when overwhelmed with fat-filled food, the pancreas could begin to realise enzymes into the abdominal cavity. Pancreatitis is a very serious condition that will require extensive veterinary treatment and can be fatal.

How to prevent it.

Do not feed your pet anything from the table, if you need to give your dog or cat a Thanksgiving treat, use ones specifically made for pets. If you can’t resist  Fido’s puppy-dog eyes or your cat rubbing up against your legs with wishful thinking, shut them in a different room, it is much kinder to them than running the risk of  them being seriously sick.

Remember that dogs and cats can easily access kitchen counters and the trash so take extra care to ensure that the counters aren’t left unattended and the trash is secured.

Other hazards.

The old phrase ‘give a dog a bone’ should be disregarded when it comes to any bones as they can splinter or become lodged, particularly bird bones. A splinter could cut your dog’s mouth, throat and organs, causing a lot of pain and expensive vets bills. Be sure to safely dispose of the string used to tie up a turkey while cooking as your pets can’t  understand that, although it tastes good, it is dangerous and twists up the digestive tract.

Remember to educate any guests visiting also as a well meaning relative may slip the cat a bit of turkey or the grandkids might feed the dog some chocolate without knowing how toxic it is to them. Keep your pets safe and healthy this Thanksgiving so they can enjoy the holiday with you.

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. December 25, 2010 at 9:11 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: